2013 CHEVROLET TRAVERSE GIVES FAMILIES A NEW GATHERING SPACE
The 2013 Chevrolet Traverse crossover-utility vehicle offers families a new gathering space with greater style, refinement and safety – enhancements that build on the space, comfort and efficiency that have made Traverse popular. A new athletic exterior design, complemented by a more expressive front end, introduces a new face for Chevrolet crossover utilities.
Inside, Traverse offers class-leading spaciousness, comfortable and flexible seating for up to eight adults, and more cargo-carrying capacity than any other vehicle in its segment. The 2013 model builds on these established attributes by offering an interior environment with new features and refined appointments. It also debuts the Chevrolet MyLink infotainment system, which allows customers to seamlessly integrate their smartphones for hands-free calling through the audio system and Bluetooth streaming of popular internet radio favourite Stitcher SmartRadio®.
Traverse is offered in LS, LT and LTZ models (with two LT trim levels: 1LT and 2LT), in both front-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive configurations. Additional highlights include:
- Four-wheel independent suspension system
- Family of 17-, 18- and 20-inch wheels
- Second-row Smart Slide seat feature, for easy access to the third-row seats
- Rear-seat entertainment system with second-row controls
- 3,293 litres (116.3 cubic feet) of maximum cargo space behind the front row of seats – more than Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot and Ford Explorer
- Towing capacity of 2,358 kilograms (5,200 lbs).
Efficiency in the Traverse comes from a technically advanced 3.6L V-6 with direct injection technology and continuously variable valve timing, which is matched with a six-speed automatic transmission. The transmission controls have been revised for 2013 to provide quicker and more consistent shifts. Along with additional transmission hardware changes, the Traverse is expected to continue to deliver among the best fuel consumption ratings of any eight-passenger (FWD) utility vehicle. Fuel consumption is expected to be 8.4L/100km highway (FWD models).
Ride and handling improvements have been made through the use of rebound springs in the front struts that increase roll control. New shock valving has been employed for low-velocity control to deliver a smoother ride at lower speeds.
The Traverse is also recognized as a safe vehicle, earning a NHTSA 5 Star Overall Safety rating and named an Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Top Safety Pick (2012 model). Contributing elements include six standard air bags – including head curtain side-impact air bags for all three seating rows – standard anti-lock brakes with integrated traction control and hill start assist, StabiliTrak electronic stability control, OnStar with automatic crash response and a rearview camera system that is now standard equipment.
New for 2013 is an industry-exclusive front centre, side impact air bag, which helps protect drivers and front passengers in far-side impact crashes.
Traverse design and exterior features
The Traverse’s new styling includes a revised front end with a new shape, supported by a powerdome hood, a three-bar upper and two-bar lower grille design, new lamps, chrome accents around the grille and fog lamps, and sculpted front corners similar to the Malibu sedan. At the rear, redesigned lamps and the license plate pocket are positioned in the new liftgate for a sportier look.
Standard and available features include:
- Power liftgate is standard on 2LT and LTZ models
- Chrome door handles are standard on all models
- Outside heated power-adjustable, power-folding body-colour mirrors with driver's side auto-dimming and memory now standard on LTZ
- Outside heated power-adjustable, manual-folding mirrors with driver-side auto-dimming, body-colour with integrated turn signal indicators on 2LT
- Seventeen-inch steel wheels with covers are standard on LS models
- Eighteen-inch machined aluminum wheels are standard on LT models
- Twenty-inch aluminum wheels are standard on LTZ models
- Exterior colour choices include: Black Granite Metallic, Cyber Grey, White, Champagne Silver Metallic, Silver Ice, Atlantis Blue Metallic, Tungsten Metallic, White Diamond Tricoat and Crystal Red Tintcoat.
Traverse interior standard and available features
Traverse’s interior blends refined styling, technology and attention to detail. The instrument panel has a dual-cockpit design that is a hallmark of Chevrolet’s heritage, while its “low and away” position enhances outward visibility.
A new centre stack for 2013 showcases a 6.5-inch colour touch radio with the available Chevrolet MyLink infotainment system. The centre stack also has large and illuminated climate controls that are easier to use and have a more upscale feel.
Upgraded materials include soft-touch surfaces on the instrument panel and front door uppers, contrasting stitching, chrome and silver accents, and available blue ambient lighting that flows through the cabin.
The front seats now feature articulating head restraints that can be adjusted up or down and fore and aft for greater comfort. The passenger seat includes an eight-way power adjuster and leather trim. New wood trim treatments are standard on LT and LTZ.
Adding to the overall feel of quality, the fit and finish of the interior panels have been improved on all models. Three interior colour choices, in cloth or leather, are offered: Ebony and “Mojave”, Light Titanium and Dark Titanium, and Ebony.
Three rows of seating are standard on all models, with the second row offered as a bench that seats up to three or a pair of bucket seats. Premium cloth seating surfaces are standard on LS and LT models, with leather-trimmed seating available on 2LT. Perforated heated and cooled leather seating is standard on LTZ. Traverse’s second-row Smart Slide seat feature enables easy access to the third-row seats.
Standard and available interior features include:
- Tri-zone automatic climate control is standard on 2LT and LTZ and available on 1LT (with rear entertainment system)
- Rear entertainment system is available on LT and LTZ models and includes rear-seat DVD player with remote control, overhead display and two sets of wireless headphones
- XM Satellite Radio is standard on all models with three-month trial
- Remote vehicle start is standard on LT and LTZ models
- Centre console with sliding armrest and storage is standard on all models.
When it comes to interior colour and trim choices, Traverse offers:
- Dark Titanium cloth seats with Light Titanium inserts and Dark Titanium/Light Titanium instrument panel (LS and LT models)
- Ebony cloth seats with Ebony instrument panel (LT models)
- Ebony cloth seats with Mojave inserts and Ebony/Mojave instrument panel (LT models)
- Light Titanium leather seats and Dark Titanium/Light Titanium instrument panel (2LT models)
- Mojave leather seats and Ebony/Mojave instrument panel (2LT models)
- Ebony leather seats and Ebony instrument panel (2LT models)
- Light Titanium perforated leather seats and Dark Titanium/Light Titanium instrument panel (LTZ models)
- Ebony perforated leather seats and Ebony instrument panel (LTZ models)
- Mojave perforated leather seats and Ebony/Mojave instrument panel (LTZ models).
Chevrolet MyLink details
Traverse is available with Chevrolet MyLink. It seamlessly integrates online services such as Stitcher SmartRadio® using hands-free voice and touch-screen controls via Bluetooth-enabled phones. MyLink adds stereo audio streaming and wireless control of smartphones, building on the voice-activated Bluetooth hands-free calling capability already offered in most Chevy vehicles.
MyLink also retains all the capabilities of today’s entertainment functions, including AM/FM/XM tuners, CD player with MP3 playback, auxiliary and USB inputs.
The Traverse’s 3.6L engine’s direct injection technology helps produce power similar to many V-8 engines and uses regular unleaded gasoline. It is rated at 288 horsepower (215 kW) and 270 lb.-ft. of torque (366 Nm) with dual exhaust (281 hp/210 kW and 266 lb.-ft./361 Nm with single exhaust). Ninety percent of the engine’s peak torque is available from approximately 2,500 rpm to more than 6,000 rpm.
The 3.6L engine is mated to the second-generation Hydra-Matic 6T75 six-speed automatic transmission, an advanced transmission with clutch-to-clutch shift operation for front- and all-wheel-drive vehicles. It also offers automatic grade braking, shift stabilization and precise shift control.
The available intelligent all-wheel-drive (AWD) system provides increased traction on slippery roads by actively managing the torque distribution between the front and rear axles, based on factors such as wheel speed, throttle and surface conditions. There is no driver intervention; the system automatically decides how much torque to apply and delivers it to the wheels that have the best traction.
Traverse chassis and suspension
Traverse rides on a long 118.9-inch (3,021 mm) wheelbase, with a wide 67.3-inch (1,709 mm) front track and 67.1-inch (1,704 mm) rear track – a combination that lowers the centre of gravity and enables smooth, stable ride and handling characteristics. Additional chassis and suspension features include:
- Independent front and rear suspensions
- MacPherson strut front suspension, with a direct-acting stabilizer bar and aluminum knuckles. Isolated mounting points help reduce noise and vibration
- Compact, linked “H”-design rear suspension, which uses an isolated mounting system to reduce noise and vibration transmitted to the passenger compartment
- Power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering is standard, with variable-effort steering available
- Four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes are standard on all models, with additional brake features including dynamic rear proportioning, hydraulic brake boost and panic brake assist.
Traverse safety and crash-avoidance features
The Traverse has 360-degree safety system that helps protect passengers before, during and after a crash, including anchor pretensioners for outboard occupants and pelvic-thorax seat-mounted side air bags. The structure is reinforced in numerous areas with high-strength steel, including a stiff steel cross-car beam welded across the floor between the B-pillars. It also uses dual-phase steel in select areas, such as the lower engine compartment rails. Dual-phase steel is strengthened in the paint oven and offers easier formability, reduced mass, greater strength and better crash energy absorption than most high-strength steels.
The all-new and industry-exclusive front centre, side impact air bag was designed to help protect drivers and front passengers in far-side impact crashes. It deploys from the inboard side of the driver’s seat and positions itself between the driver and front passenger, delivering a more comprehensive occupant restraint system. No other air bag in passenger vehicles today offers this type of protection in the front seat.
Additional safety features include:
- Standard head curtain side air bags with rollover protection for all seating rows. The roof-mounted head curtain air bags include design features that provide increased rollover protection and occupant containment
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system with rollover mitigation technology is standard on all models and incorporates full-function traction control
- Standard rearview camera system designed to provide the driver with a view of people or objects in the rearward path of the vehicle
- Standard four-wheel-disc brake system with ABS
- Pretensioners minimize forward movement during a collision, and are standard on the front safety belts.
- Load-limiting retractors limit the force the belts apply
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child seat attachment system, which is included in all second-row seating position
- Tire pressure monitoring system, standard on all models
- Strong body structure to absorb crash energy and provide a protective “safety cage” around occupant
- Hill start assist brakes help reduce the tendency of a vehicle to roll forward or backward on a hill after the brake pedal is released by momentarily retaining pressure on the brake discs.
Six months of OnStar Directions and Connections service is standard on Traverse. OnStar is the global leading provider of connected safety, security and mobility solutions and advanced information technology.
OnStar’s RemoteLink Mobile App allows smartphone users to control vehicle functions, access vehicle information and send directions directly to the vehicle. A new, opt-in service called FamilyLink allows subscribers to stay connected to loved ones by checking the location of their vehicle online or by signing up for vehicle location alerts.
Traverse also features new OnStar button icons. Drivers will notice an updated look for the Hands-Free Calling button, blue OnStar button and red Emergency button.
More information about OnStar can be found at www.onstar.ca/.
# # #